The way I see it, I think about each unit and, as I like to call them, "the hairy warts". In other words, what's something I want to do differently because it's really just not working or not pleasant for whatever reason. By identifying this problem, I then am making the first step in the process of finding a solution!
My most recent problem involved a Prezi and taking notes. I created a Prezi about economics terms, which you can view here: Economics Vocabulary Prezi. My goal was for students to get an introduction to economic terms that would be used throughout our unit. They needed to view the Prezi and take notes using two-column format, which I put together in a Google Drive document for them and shared. Sure, I could have played it on my Promethean board for all to, but, as any teacher knows, some students would want to move more quickly, some more slowly, and some would want to replay certain video clips. In order to make this a student-centered experience, I e-mailed them the link and need to figure out a way that they could have the Prezi playing on one half of their Chromebook screen while taking notes using the Google doc I shared with them on the other side. Here's where NiftySplit comes in!
NiftySplit is a free Chromebook extension I got in the Google store and helped all of the students install on their Chromebooks. What it did was allow students to open their notes page, then open up a new tab to their e-mail with my Prezi link. They right clicked the Prezi link, selected "Open with NiftySplit" and the extension automatically splits the screen into two windows, so students could view their notes on one side while watching a Prezi on the other. Pretty nifty!
No comments:
Post a Comment